“I don’t understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that’s the day she has a date with destiny. And it’s best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.” - Coco Chanel

11.17.2008

Thanksgiving=Giving

A long line of cars with their lights on passed as I waited to join the funeral precession. The funeral was that of a 22 year old, son of an old family friend. I absolutely cannot fathom a funeral, much less the death of my very own 23 year old son. How is anyone ever ready for such a time? Be it 23 or 83, death is still beyond shocking.

The "church/chapel" was packed past capacity. I found a chair in the adjacent office area and sat texting my eldest, states away, asking him about music should I have to plan a service for him. I truly wasn't being morbid, just in the throes of a slight panic attack. Feelings of thanks consumed me and I realized yet again you never know when something unspeakable will happen. We texted away, me keeping the conversation going so I could breathe. I suggested a couple songs to which he told me a resounding NO.

Week after next will be rough for the Golman family. I've been blue because recently I learned all my brood won't be with me Thanksgiving Day. After seeing the grieving Mother, I have resolved to lift my chin and be thankful my children are at least somewhere for the day. And I shall call that Mother's name each and every time thoughts of unfairness pop up .

I'm proving my thankfulness for life, health and wealth by giving back this season. My mind replays stories told by my cousin Doretha of how thankful she was for the Ronald McDonald House they stayed in while her son was in the hospital. Each time you go to McDonald's, inside or the drive-thru, give. $1, $5,  even $100 will benefit those in need. Lodgings and food for families with loved ones in the hospital is what Ronald McDonald House is about. I saw my first Salvation Army bell ringer last weekend. In this age of debit cards, I have resolved to keep cash just to put in the red pots.  It's a grand cause. 

Always, always add something to your total at McDonalds for the Ronald McDonald House. Never pass the bell ringer without making a deposit in the red pot. Lastly, teach your children to give and explain where it's going. Have them give something of their very own. Now is the time to clear out since much will be coming in. You'd never believe those at the thrift stores scavenging for toys for gifts for their children. Never throw away, always donate it. 

Needs are incredibly easy to find. Just ask. It's Thanksgiving. Give thanks, then just plain give.


No comments: