“I don’t understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that’s the day she has a date with destiny. And it’s best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.” - Coco Chanel

11.01.2008

It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Photobucket

This is the way I begin the season, I watch Miracle on 34th Street (the modern one). My mind is reeling with the fact that it is NOVEMBER people! I felt those sweet "wow, it will soon be Thanksgiving and Christmas" pangs earlier this week. I have begun my shopping, picking up a few things here and there. I keep a detailed list in my phone and purchased gifts go under the recipient's name with an X. I also immediately list the "perfect thing" the moment it pops in my mind. So many times we have an epiphany of just THE thing, and the moment slips away. List it!

Today the ipod gets set on Genre "holiday", I'm boiling cinnamon, orange and cloves on the stove (a tradition that my Tay loves), and I'm going to reflect on making this year one to remember. Yes, it's a rough time for me since my business reels out of control. Yes, my boys both live out of state and I'll crave their presence. Yes, my days are longest and my stress level peaks. But my reaction to things basically out of my control is what governs my happiness.

I am giving myself the gift of blocking off some hours. I will spend quality time with my Tay. I will wrap gifts in a timely fashion. I will mail Christmas cards by December 10th. I will invite bosom friends over to dine. I will blog.

Beginning today, make some lists. What holiday requirement stresses you the most? Is it wrapping? Gift buying? Grocery shopping? Decorating? Baking? Christmas card? Start now to relieve the stress. Wrap as you buy. Pick up some of the holiday groceries each time you go. Set a date to decorate. Update your card list now and address 5 envelopes daily (if doing custom, get the envelopes in advance). I highly recommend being fully decorated before Thanksgiving. You can still set an incredible autumnal table along with your Christmas decor in place. It makes you no less thankful because the tree is up.

Do things now to make December a time of sipping cocoa by the tree. It's up to you.

No comments: